Writes the contents specified in text to the file at the path or to a container field via Set Field. Using the optional append parameter you can choose to either write a new file ( or overwrite an existing one ), or to append the text to the end of the file.
Defaults to UTF-8 ( no BOM ) which can be changed using the BE_SetTextEncoding function.
For writing files to containers, this function works a little differently. First you need to use this as a Set Field step, and the resulting output will then be set into the field that is the destination of the Set Field step.
If you're appending to a file, and setting it into a field, the first parameter pathOrContainer can be either a field with an existing file, or a path to an existing file. The result will then be appended to the original. Set the appendBoolean parameter to True.
If you're setting a field and not appending, the first parameter should contain just the name of the file you want as text.
Obviously this first parameter can be many things, a path, a container field containing a file, or a text string ( from a field, or variable etc ) containing a file name.
- pathOrContainer : either text which contains a path to a file, or binary data from a container field, or file set into a variable.
- text : the text to write to the file
- appendBoolean : True or False - True will append to the file, False or no parameter will either write over an existing file or set the contents of a new file.
File Text Write
- 1.0.0 :
- 1.1.0 : Adds appendBoolean option.
- 3.3.0 : Recursively create any directories needed.
- 4.0.2 : Renamed from BE_WriteTextToFile - now allows writing to container fields as well as paths.
- PLUGIN PATHS ARE NOT FILEMAKER PATHS. The plugin uses the same path structure as your operating system, and you cannot pass to the plugin paths that start with file:/ or filewin:/ etc. Please read this for more info :
BE_FileWriteText ( $path ; "sometexthere" )creates a new file at $path with the content "sometexthere"
BE_FileWriteText ( $path ; "sometexthere" ; True )appends to an existing file at $path and adds "sometexthere" to the end of the document
SetField [ table::myField ; BE_FileWriteText ( $path ; "sometexthere" ; True )sets myField with a file, that is the content of the existing file at $path with "sometexthere" appended. Filename will be as per the existing file at $path.
SetField [ table::myField ; BE_FileWriteText ( "myfile.txt" ; "sometexthere" )Creates a new file called "myfile.txt" and sets the content to "sometexthere" and puts it into the myField field.